Expert Answer Forum
Demonology and the young child QUESTION from Gerry Petrie February 24, 2000
Not that long ago my middle son (who at this time shall remain nameless) was unfortunate enough to overhear a discussion to an older and more brash youth about the topic of Demons. In so far as this event he has become obsessed with the notion that he has been singled out as a target for demonic mischief and is having an increasingly difficult time to sleep at night for fear of leaving an opening for any unwanted visitor. My question is this; What words of comfort could i possibly offer up to him to help alleviate his mental state and is there any proof i can find on the net that would help lighten his concern on this unlikely occurance?
thanking you in advance Gerry Petrie
ANSWER by John-Paul Ignatius, O.L.S.M. on March 1, 2000 Dear Mr. Petrie:
I am sorry to hear about your son’s fears. You don’t say how old your son is, but I would guess he is probably psyching himself out. The fixation that he may be targeted could just fade away eventually, or on the worst end could become a problem that you will need to seek assistance with a Catholic Counselor.
But before it goes that far, I would suggest a few things.
1) buy a large picture of a Guardian angel and hang it in his room. Teach him about Guardian Angels and their role in protecting us. Teach him to talk to his Guardian Angel and to ask his angel to protect him during the night.
2)Teach him to pray the rosary or perhaps a shorter chaplet. Teach him that our Blessed Mother is just like our human mother and father. She is there to protect us. Maybe have a picture or a nightlight of our Blessed Mother. I have a nightlight modonna figure on our prayer altar.
3) Take Holy Water or Holy Salt and anoint all the windows and the doors and the closets and the cubby holes, and under the bed and anywhere the child wants. Teach him that the Holy Water is like a No Trespassing Sign. If needed, ask your priest to come and bless the room and his bed.
4) Teach him this bedtime prayer:
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ who loves me, and the Blessed Mother who loves me, and my Guardian Angel who loaves me, and all the saints and angels of heaven who love me, I give my dreams to God and ask that my Guardian Angel and the Lord Jesus and the Blessed Mother and the Archangel Michael protect me as I sleep tonight. In the name of the Father + and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
5) Then take Holy Water and make the sign of the cross on his forehead as you pray a prayer of protection and blessing.
6) Then get the CD by Michael Card called Sleep Sound in Jesus. This is truly an anointed CD that works with adults and children to comfort them and to keep away the nasties.
You can order this CD from the following URL: http://sowerbible.com/specificmusic.cfm?CID=22312702292000
7) Pray for your son. You may want to look over the Spiritual Warfare prayers listed in our Spiritual Warfare Prayer collection.
8) we will be praying for your son too.
Back to Index Page