Faith/Spirituality Forum: Annullments

Annullments QUESTION from Cindy on January 15, 2003 I am Catholic. Twenty years ago I married in an Assembly of God Church to a non-catholic. I am not sure if he was baptized in any church. We married because I was pregnant. The marriage ended in divorce after 2 1/2 years.
I am now engaged to a Catholic. My parish priest has told me that I don't need an anullment, that all I need is a declaration of validity? and this only takes a few weeks to get. He says all I need to provide is my baptismal record, marriage certificate and civil divorce papers to show that my marriage was never valid and I am free to marry in the Catholic Church.
My fiancee's parish priest says that I need an anullment and this could take over a year. I am confused. What do you think? Do I need an anullment of just this declaration of validity?
ANSWER by John-Paul Ignatius, OLSM on January 23, 2003 Dear Cindy:
I tend to agree with your fiancee's parish priest especially if your husband was baptized. But do not take my word or those priest's word for it. There is a way to find out for certain.
Call the Marriage Tribunal Office at your Diocesan Offices and explain to them the situation. They are the ones who make the definitive decision on these things.
God bless.
Back to Index Page

You have successfully subscribed!