Expert Answer Forum

making marriage valid QUESTION from Rita December 16, 2000 I have a relative who was married outside the church for about a year. After they had a baby the couple started taking instructions (he is not catholic) but it didn't work out. He constantly argued with the priest and didn't want to keep coming. She went to see her parish priest and he heard her confession and made a few phone calls and then informed her that everything was taken care of and now she could once again receive the sacraments. Could you tell me what this is called and when and if it is sanctioned by the church?
ANSWER by John-Paul Ignatius, O.L.S.M. on March 4, 2001 Dear Mrs. Rita:
This question is one of such a teachnical issue of canon law, that I better not try to answer it directly since I am not sure.
I would suggest contacting the St. Joseph Foundation which is a group of canon lawyers. They can ben found on the internet at:
When you find the answer, please write back and let me know.
Back to Index Page

You have successfully subscribed!