Expert Answer Forum

Mixed Marriage QUESTION from Shelby Fike October 3, 2000 I am Methodist, and was baptized in the Methodist Church. Five years ago, I was married in a civil ceremony. After several months of abuse, I filed for divorce and left my husband. I have moved on with my life and I am doing well. Recently, I met a man who is a baptized Catholic. We fell in love and would like to be married. I have been studying the Catholic faith and I plan to convert. Is that posible since I have been divorced? Was my previous marriage really a marriage since it wasn't blessed by any church? Finally, is it posible for my fiance and I to be married in the Catholic church?
ANSWER by John-Paul Ignatius, O.L.S.M. on December 17, 2000 Dear Miss Fike:
Praise God that you are deciding to convert. We will pray for you and your intended husband.
You will need to check with the Marriage Tribunal of your diocese and give them the circumstances of your previous marriage. They will be able to definitively tell you whether or not you will need an annulment before marrying your fiance.
You can be married in the Catholic Church as long as any impediment from previous marriages are resolved. Given the brief circumstances you describe I think you may be able to get an annulment if one is needed. But whether one is needed depends are many things concerning your former marriage. So I would call the diocese offices and ask for the Marriage Tribunal Office. They will let you know what is needed for you to be eligible to have a beautiful Catholic wedding and thereby to live a Godly and Catholic life.
Back to Index Page

You have successfully subscribed!